SVM340 Synchronized Video Microscope
Support information for LabSmith’s SVM340 inverted fluorescence video microscope.
uScope control software V2.020, SDK (Software Developers’ Kit) and LabVIEW Drivers
SVM340 User Manual
Does the SVM include software for image processing?
The uScope software, which comes with the SVM340, includes real-time image processing capabilities such as particle counting, intensity probe, and micro-PIV (particle image velocimetry). These measurements can be saved to disk and analyzed later.
How do I image my micro-channels in color?
- Ensure that you have a color camera module installed (check the label on the front of the camera module). The SVM340 comes standard with a B&W camera module. Additional camera modules can be purchased from LabSmith.
- Verify that the color format is set to RGB by choosing Video>Color format>24 bit RGB.
- Choose View>Video Options>Analog settings… and set the saturation to 100% of scale.
- Ensure that there is enough signal light for the camera to work in color mode. At low light levels, the camera reverts to black and white to reduce noise. Turn up the illuminator intensity to full scale to check.
- To verify that the camera is, in fact, in a color mode, shine a white light on the top to flood illuminate your sample and check whether the output is in color. You might also place a color picture from, say, a magazine on the sample stage and check for color output.
How do I download drivers for the SVM cameras?
Drivers for the 5MP color, and 5MP black and white cameras, can be downloaded from Imaging Source, here.
Which analog video capture device should I use with my SVM340 analog optics module?
We recommend the StarTech USB 2.0 Composite and S-Video Capture Cable (either SVID2USB2NS or SVID2USB2). Additional units can be purchased from LabSmith or from many electronics retailers. Note: the video capture device is only needed for analog optics modules (part numbers A-RS-170-C, A-RS-170-BW, or A-SVM-EPI-BL). Digital optics modules do not require a capture device.
Can you recommend a USB-to-RS232 adapter for use with the SVM340?
Any USB-to-RS232 adapter should be compatible with the SVM340. We like and sell the Tripp Lite USB Serial Adapter Cable (Tripp Lite p/n U209-000-R).
What functionality do I gain with the Software Developers’ Kit?
The SDK allows you to move the stage and change illuminator settings automatically. Contact LabSmith with questions.